Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 1 - Back in Europe


And so I arrived in Zurich.

The immigration was friendly, the luggage fast, and the train punctual. No wonder they call Zurich the Singapore of Europe, and Singapore the Zurich of Asia. Methodical, organized, and fast. Without knowing any German, and only following the instructions of an e-mail print out from Phillipe, I arrived in the town of Wäedenswil within an hour of my landing into the airport.

I've somehow now have ended at a calm Swiss town by the lake...
a beautiful blue lake, from which you can see the city of Zurich at the other end. It was a warm morning, with cool breeze and ducks flying over onto the edge of the lake.

... errr....

Why am I here?

This is what got me here:


A Dreer award travel grant for the study of green walls (growing plants on a vertical surface).


And this is some of the plant materials that I got introduced to today at Verticalis, they are planted on rockwool, a type of organic foam made of melted rock. More details about the research on later posts.

2 comments:

i maria calderon said...

that is a beautiful green wall amiga! did you make this one?

sephanie said...

Danken! But that's not mine, it's a big one, about 1 yr old. Mine's still a baby =P