Thursday, June 25, 2009

Durga

On our way to Chidambaram, we saw a couple of Hindu temples situated in the villages, and under the trees in the rice fields. Most often of these is the red or green Durga, the 10-armed form of the mother-goddess Devi, the wife of Shiva.




This is another statue of Durga inside the Chidambaram temple complex. (As I remember it,) in this complex she is depicted in close relation with the image of Parvati, and this particular icon is worshipped by single men/women looking for partners in life.

2 comments:

yin said...

i don't know you, so i hope you don't mind me reading your blog. your pictures are beautiful, they give me a little hope.

sephanie said...

Hi Yin, you are welcome to read the blog, after all, thats why its out there :-) I'm happy that the pictures give you a good feeling, and I hope to read comments from you again in the future.