Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day 2 - People at work


This is Philipp, the head of the Verticalis project. We met for the first time when he picked me off from the station, and we had tea at the most beaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuutiful café I have ever seen. The café is literally right up by the edge of the blue Zurichsee (Zurich lake), and from there, you can see Zurich! We have been chatting a lot since and he is open-minded to ideas of different green wall systems from around the world.


And this is Simone, his student assistant at the greenhouse. Simone is an Italian from Tyrol, studying for an undergrad degree of environmental education, and now she is working for her summer job here. She taught me many things about making and maintaining a greenwall, from making "brownie" substrate, to "haircutting" a verticalis frame. Here we are preparing a Verticalis wall, for use at Hydroplant's showroom.


And that's me, sticking in cuttings of peperomia plants for my first set of green walls. We moved our tables outdoor because it
I'm happy that the people here in Switzerland are kind and they take their time to talk and exchange idea with me. Must say that they are much ore respectful than what I expected them Europeans be (after that horrendous 20 hour wait at the consulate, and the cold rejection they gave as, bah)

5 comments:

yin said...

It must to be really nice to travel across the world, dropping into the little stories of individuals whom you might never otherwise meet. And plants going vertically from walls - how cool is that. I think the nicest part about it to a layperson like me is the change of perspective it offers. A sense of distance experienced not through length but height. Vertical plot of verdant green as high as the eye can see. :)

sephanie said...

Heee... you're the first non-landscape architect/horti person to say that its cool. I think to most people the idea is dismissible now... but maybe one day we can have a vertical landscape.

Anonymous said...

what do they feed the plants with?

Anonymous said...

it was me asking, you know the nutrients to feed hydroponic plants, we cant buy them in indo, they are ingredients to make bombs! are green wall plants fed with those kind of stuff? - Fang2

joy.lee said...

you're in zurich!!!

i'm glad that those people are nice too. i wish that you had pictures from that beeeaaaaaaaautiful tea place.!