Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Day 12 - uh.... sandalo?! *stare*

I have been warned about this: Italians are always dressed up when they go out. Appearance matters. Usually this is no problem... but today, I slipped, and discovered what happens if you don't follow the rules of the townies:


I just recovered from a headache and was out taking a walk to an Italian children's bookstore. It is raining outside and I did not want to take my shoes out because it takes a day to dry them off. So, out I go with my pair of rubber thongs (er... flip flops, as americans would call it). I thought that this little undressfulliness on my part was forgivable given that I was fully dressed with collared shirt, full length skirt, scarf, coat, etc. In other words, Neat... So long as you don't look down.

Shop 1. They did look, but not stare. The shopkeepers everywhere look at me queeried eyed... so that's common. They did politely help me to a couple of beautiful hats and scarves... this is unusually nice... considering on what follows.

Shop 2. Charming shop. Well stocked with Italian picture books. Evil staff. I don't understand why the manager picks these kinds of thugs to tend to this children's bookshop: they did not help when I cannot reach the top shelves, and closed the shop half an hour early. Kids' books shelves are not meant to be high up anyways >.< Sadly, I will return... picture books are my thing.

Shop 3. Shoe shop. The Italian granddy look at my sandals for so long that I felt uncomfortable and went out.

Shop 4. From the moment I got in the place, everybody stared. Up then down.... then muttered and grinned. I felt thankful that I don't understand Italian. The shop staff spoke in english and ask, in an ironical tone, if my feet was cold. And then hurried me... please choose, try once and decide. we are going to close. I felt bad. The sweater was good though.. so I hurried and bought. I got out the shop, and they close the shop. Hmm.. Europeans: life first. work second.... huh?

I felt that I got gently kicked out of that shop. Even though there were no aggressive exchange, there is a tacit understanding that I am not welcome. Having the right pair of footwear is that important huh? Appearance. appearance. appearance. Bella figura. Ugli Sandalla.

Alora! I need to get a pair of proper shoe. I did fancied a couple, but none fits. So, now I should go gandering for children's shoes! Hehehe... let's see what sort of nasty look I get this time!
--

I was later told that for Europeans, staring is common and is usually ok, it's like their way of acknowledging your presence.
Although on a side note it was indeed impolite to wear sandals to a shop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*lol* you can't wear thongs around? That's so... superficial! btw your blog is cool! chat to you later :)