Friday, September 18, 2009

Franz Mayer of Munich

The atelier downstairs to my office makes my brain drool with envy...




One day when we didn't have much to do in the office, Andreas took me downstairs to see the studio of Franz Mayer of Munich. Initially I didn't have much of an idea what the office does, I know they make mosaic and glasses, but what could be so special? That's before I saw their studio! Oh my! What enviable lives! It's not just any mosaic or glasses, its art pieces mosaic (they make the big murals in NYC's subway) and church-grade stained windows!!!

Above is the pictures of the glassmaking in process. On the first picture is the studio where they draw the stained glass in question. They have big mirrors above their studio space so they can see the images inverted. After the drawing is done, the image is taken to the person who shapes the colored glass one by one (second pic), and then it is drawn on. After all the pieces are ready, they are put together manually with lead as the binding 'glue' (third pic).

Below is one of the mosaic pieces that I was quite taken by. It's like *whoaaah!!!* painting with coloured tiles! I wonder what it feels to work patiently like this for life: a steady artists' job making mosaics and glasses all life long. The lady there told me that most people who worked there, have been there for 20 years and more. It seems like such a certain way of life... certainly beautiful one. Or is it...? Deep down in my heart I was thinking to myself, if I could have another life, this is it.


As the home for the atelier, the building naturally has a lot of stained glass and mosaic art pieces embelishing it, making the office space more homey and livable. Below is the glasses that I pass everyday to work, they make my day feels brighter, and not just "this is another boring office job in a boring bozy glassy office" kinda feeling...

Jesus in three hip colors, orange, blue and pink!

Snow white stained glass on the 4th floor above. It's on display along with puss-in-boots, mother goose and other cute fairytaile stained glasses.

No comments: