Friday, September 30, 2011

Where's my Assam?

When it comes to black tea, unsugared Assam has always been my favorite hands down. It has a thick robust flavor (malty, they say), that is just perfect for sluggish mornings at work. And so, prior to signing up with EMI and coming to Assam, I've always pictured Assam as a mountainous land of endless tea plantation. But I was ignorant - of course there's more to Assam than teas! In fact, I stayed at the low-lands all the time I was there and did not see any tea plantation during my entire stay at Guwahati, Assam.



Guhawati is the capital of the province of Assam, and it is the largest city in north-eastern part of India. The area sits on a low-altitude wetland plains and has a tropical hot and humid weather. This means, they grow lots of rice! Betel nut palm (above) is also a popular crop in the area. Our visit was at the end of the rainy monsoon period, so there were beautiful seasonal lakes around. The one above was seen along the road, and the guy there is a passing motorcyclist who really should be facing forward!



Our host, Dr. Jacob & Zingi, in our turquoise blue guest apartment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
'Zmail said...

Very well made photos. I am a pro photographer and I salute your talent. My photo blog is here. Enjoy and have a nice day!

'Zmail said...

so nice